Wednesday 21 May 2014

Rory McIlroy Discusses Breakup With Caroline Wozniacki

Rory McIlroy spoke to the news media Wednesday in advance of the BMW PGA Championship. Credit Ian Walton/Getty Images


VIRGINIA WATER, England — Appearing at times on the verge of tears, Rory McIlroy kept his date with the news media Wednesday in advance of this week’s BMW PGA Championship, the European Tour’s flagship event, holding a news conference the same morning that he announced the end of his five-month engagement to the tennis star Caroline Wozniacki.
In a statement made public by his communications team, McIlroy said, “The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realize that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails.”
He added, “I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had.”
McIlroy, 25, looked as if he wanted to fold into himself during the question-and-answer session that lasted 6 minutes 40 seconds. His arms were crossed and his gaze kept returning to his hands. “Yeah, obviously quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself,” he said, adding, “It was mutual and amicable and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on and I think I’ve said all that I need to say.”

Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki at a tennis tournament in Eastbourne, England, during happier times last June. Credit Jan Kruger/Getty Images
Was he tempted to pull out of the tournament to escape the public eye as he mourns the end of a romantic relationship that, from their first meeting in 2011 at a championship boxing match, played out in the fishbowl that is social media?
“No, I didn’t think there was any reason to do that,” McIlroy said. “There’s no good time to sort of end a relationship, I guess.”
He added: “The European Tour has been very good to me over the last number of years, and I thought it was my duty to come back and play in this event. You know, once I gave my word that I would, I wasn’t going to go back on it.”
Asked how tough a decision it was to break off the engagement, McIlroy struggled to maintain his composure. “Look, I’m no different than anyone else,” he said. “Everyone has been through breakups and it’s obviously very, very difficult.”
The moderator asked if there were any questions for McIlroy about golf. “At least you’re at a golf course that you love,” one journalist began, which made everyone in the room, starting with McIlroy, laugh.
“Yeah, look, I’ve enjoyed my times here,” he said.
McIlroy, a former world No. 1 whose ranking has fallen to 10th, acknowledged that it was going to be tough to keep his mind on golf. “I’m not going to lie,” he said. “It’s going to be very difficult. But at least when I get inside the ropes, just try and concentrate on the shot at hand.”
His afternoon pro-am pairing promised to offer McIlroy the refuge he seemed to be so desperately seeking. He was paired with Teddy Sheringham, Peter Schmeichel and Phil Neville, three legends from Manchester United, his favorite soccer team. In 1999, all three were in the squad that defeated Bayern Munich in the Champions League final, a result that made McIlroy, then 10 years old, very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment